Kids on Country
The Kids on Country program builds employability skills for young Aboriginal people by improving wellbeing, teaching life skills, building confidence 'on country' and sparking interest in conservation and land management.
We take a unique approach to help address the low school retention rate of Aboriginal young people and improve community health and wellbeing. Kids on Country increases the capacity of young Aboriginal people to build on their skills and aptitudes for personal growth and development, strengthens cultural identity and fosters a desire for learning which positively impacts students’ engagement in education.
Kids on Country is a comprehensive program including:
- Online program of 10 lessons, all linked to curriculum
- 5-day ‘On Country’ camps
- TAFE SA Short Course – Certificate II in Conservation and Land Management – 3 Units of Competency
Participants come away with:
- Skills and knowledge in conservation and land management practices
- Cultural activities that build resilience and enhance identity and life skills
- Conservation activities that deepen understanding of the natural environment
- Access to ‘old’ ways of cultural learning to spark curiosity in young people
- A platform to share knowledge and grow together
- A program linked to secondary school curriculum
The program is an educationally rich experience and provides students with an opportunity to learn about vocational options and higher education including knowledge conveyed by Traditional Owners, Aboriginal connection to country and STEM content.
Young participants at Kids on Country camp
“The educational benefits of the camp are far reaching. Students gained a lot of knowledge and enjoyment through the dynamic and interesting program delivered by experts in the field.” Read more...
- Lina Ruggiero
Aboriginal Education Teacher
LeFevre High School
Youth Programs Coordinator
Phone: +61 (08) 8340 2880
Mobile: +61 (0) 433 998 624
You can help us continue to provide life-changing opportunities for young Aboriginal people by making a donation.